Friday, March 27, 2015

Doomed to be clumsy

So anyone that has known me a while knows I'm not the most coordinated person out there.  All I need is a floor and some air and I will trip.  

In January I decided it was time to start exercising and get healthier.  So we joined the gym at our civic center.  I'm not one that loves to exercise.  I've been to one step class and one spin class in my life.  At the step class it was all I could do to not trip over my step and take out a row of skinny girls.  Of course at the spin class there isn't too much I could mess up - just felt like I was getting closer to Heaven with each spin (the pain was real).  



Anyway so my first day in the room with all the equipment was scary.  How do I decide the perfect machine to pick? I didn't even know the names of them.  I decided on one and started pushing buttons - nothing happened.  To avoid completed humiliation I asked another girl how to make the machine cut on.  Apparently you get on the machine and start moving and it cuts on. So I got in my groove and before I knew it I was a pro on the machine within a week. The track is my favorite place - good music in the ears and a good pace.  Sometimes if the song is good I will do a little dance combo in my walking. Well I did before I realized they had cameras above watching (sorry to everyone who saw my mad dance skills).  The only problem with the track is I trip - a lot and I do t have a clue why.  At first I was embarrassed but I've learned how to recover from it.  If I trip I just start jogging to make people think I was going into jog mode.  

So here we are in March and I'm still exercising.  Last month I got the sinus crud and a bad cough. I wasn't able to do the machines because they made me cough more so I just stuck to walking.  That is until this week when I went to the room with the machines.  The normal people were in there and they were glad to see me back.  I put my fitbit on my shoelace, music in my ears and got on the machine. Everything was going great until my shoe came untied and my fitbit came off.  I got off the machine and was about to pick up my Fitbit when the pedal of the elliptical hit me in the ankle (OUCH).  I moved and tried to pick up my Fitbit again when it hit me again on the other side of my ankle. At this point I was angry at this machine so I got it to stop and once again I bent over to pick up my Fitbit.  I was about to get it when I reached too far and my headphones stretched and my phone fell and hit the floor.  After picking all my stuff up and regaining composure the lady next to me smiled and said "see what happens when you don't come and get out of training".  Thankfully I was able to laugh it off and just keep going.  And I'm sure that yall are all laughing at the mental image in your head! 

Moral of the story - no matter how silly you feel or look don't give up on something because success is right around the corner.  I may be uncoordinated but I'm at 11 lbs gone and I'm having fun!  

Proverbs 17:22
joyful heart is good medicine,
But a broken spirit dries up the bones.

1 comment: