Wednesday, March 25, 2015

How much do you know?

As a mom I have come to realize that my kids are not going to tell me everything.  But that doesn't mean I don't ask lots of questions. How was school? - Fine.  What did yall do today? - Nothing. Who is that your texting? - my friends. What are you doing in your room? - Nothing.  It can be frustrating to want to know so much about your kids and get very short answers back.  I look at them and think - so what you're telling me is you sat at school all day and did nothing but that was fine and then you come home only to go in your room and still do nothing?   With that much free time on your hands how could you possibly be so tired when asked to help clean up around the house?  :)   Who are we kidding??  A lot of things go on with our children but it is up to us to get more info out of them.  They may be small but they have so much going on in their lives and I want to be apart of that.  I want to know how they are feeling, what happened throughout their day and the friends they are hanging out with.

In our house the rule is if we pay the cell phone bill we get full rights to what's on it.  This means we will always know the password and sometimes we might just pick it up and go through it. That is not a very popular rule with our teenage daughter but one that she knows to obey or we get to keep the phone and she gets a nice flip phone that she can call her friends on and the worst part - no selfies with a cute duck face!! 

As a Christian parent I firmly believe in keeping up with what my kids are doing. Whether it be who they hang out with, the music they listen to, what they watch on TV, etc. Right now they are at very impressionable ages and they are being molded each day and what they are allowed to put in their lives will be apart of that molding.  One thing we love in our house is music!  We love to dance around and act silly whether it be at home or in the car (yes even while I am driving). There are all types of music out there to listen to.  I love Christian music but I also like to listen to 80's and some pop.  But what I have taught my kids is be careful of music you listen to because while it might have a good beat sometimes the lyrics are not something that you need going into your ears because it makes a huge impact. 

I love my kids so much and I thank God for both of them.  They are not perfect at all but I want them to know how important it is to live a life for God.  And I believe that while we are raising our children we are held accountable for what we allow in their lives and what we allow them to do.

In Proverbs 22:6 it says to train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it.

In Deuteronomy 6:6-9 it says These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.  Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads.  Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

I am not a professional blogger and may not have a whole lot of stuff to blog about but sometimes I do have a lot of thoughts that I want to express and I thought this would be the best place to do it.

1 comment: